HIPPOCRATIC OATH FOR SCIENTISTS PROPOSED
The British government’s chief scientific adviser has launched a code of ethics for scientists. Professor Sir David King said that the new code will help to build trust between scientists and the public. It should encourage researchers to reflect upon the impact that their work will have on wider society. The seven principles, a sort of latter-day Hippocratic Oath for scientists, are:
- Act with skill and care, keep skills up to date
- Prevent corrupt practice and declare conflicts of interest
- Respect and acknowledge the work of other scientists
- Ensure that research is justified and lawful
- Minimise impacts on people, animals and the environment
- Discuss issues science raises for society
- Do not mislead; present evidence honestly
- How long can you put off seeing the doctor because of lockdowns? - December 3, 2021
- House of Lords debates assisted suicide—again - October 28, 2021
- Spanish government tries to restrict conscientious objection - October 28, 2021
The virtues and the vices of the outrageous
A Norwegian bioethicist, Anna Smajdor, recently set out a case for “Whole Body Gestational Donation” – using the wombs of...
Should bioethicists hold a conference in Qatar?
FIFA’s choice of Qatar for the 2022 World Cup sparked huge ethical controversies. What about its abominable record on migrant...
Bioethicist protests that ‘whole body gestational donation’ is misunderstood
Bioethicists have chosen a lonely and disheartening profession. Locked away in an office, they pound out publications which only a...
Are we already living in a transhumanist reality?
Last year an Oxford expert in transhumanism published “Future Superhuman: Our transhuman lives in a make-or-break century”. Elise Bohan, an...
What the world needs now is more bioethicists. Or not?
In a recent issue of the New England Journal of Medicine, one of America’s leading voices in bioethics, Emanuel J....
Does Giorgia Meloni have a bioethics program?
Giorgia Meloni, the leader of Fratelli d’Italia and Italy’s presumptive new prime minister, has views which must be sending a...